Thursday, March 29, 2007

Facebook

As this is March (the infamous month in a JET participants life when nothing ever happens) I have been spending a fair bit of time on facebook. As it seems have a number of other people in Toyama, inbetween reading other people’s blogs, travelling and watching Quantum Leap.

Here are some of things I like best about facebook (to be honest, I have nicked some of these ideas):

1.) The pointlessness of it

Facebook serves no purpose other than keeping dead friendships on life support and providing a space for people to complain about shit that no one cares about. (to be honest I didn’t think of that it was a quote I stole from somewhere on the internet - I changed the word “junk” to “shit” though because I thought it sounded better). This is the beauty of facebook, there is pretty much no point to it.

2.) Friends that you don’t really know or care about.

I like the way you get to add people who you vaguely know or knew 10 years ago as friends. You probably don't give a shit 'what they're up to now' but you leave one totally shit message on their wall, and they leave one totally shit message on your wall and then that’s it. (I copied that from my brother).

I also like the way some people add you as friends but know so little about them you can’t even write a totally shit message on their wall. It just looks like you’ve got more mates.

3.) Walls

I like it when people organise nights out and stuff via walls – facebook is clearly the best way of sorting out a night out.
Other enjoyable things about walls are a) people writing things that embarrass and/or reflect poorly on the person and b) no one writing at all and making the person seem like a loser.

4.) Pokes

Pokes are classic facebook. Totally pointless and signify nothing. Accepting a poke isn't an option, you can only hide a poke or poke back so once you’ve started a poke exchange there is no end to it. I particularly like the way having sent a poke it says “you have poked _________”
(____________ means the persons name)
I find this works best with Joy Neely.

4.) The gifts

I love the idea that people would actually pay money to send one of those gifts! Why would you do that!? "yeah didn't know what to get you for your birthday so I just paid for a totally shit little picture of a bear on the internet. I hope you like it."

5.) The bit where you get to say how you know the person.

It’s funny when you get to say you hooked up with people, and it’s sexy.

6.) The way on your profile if gives you two separate headings – one for activities and one for interests.

What’s the difference though? If you played badminton, would that be an interest or an activity? Wouldn’t it be an activity you are interested in? (This bit is stolen from Jamie)

7.) The News Feed

Probably my favourite thing about facebook is the News feed – I love the random bits of information it gives you.
For example:

Alan Hughes added “shagging” to his favourite activities. 4:35pm

Steve Thomson’s relationship is no longer listed as “complicated” 4:15pm

Chris Allen left the group You don’t have to be mental to work at Cheltenham and Gloucester morgages…… but it helps!!!!. 2:14pm

Lisa Jones added “Sister Act 2: Back in the habit” to her list of favourite movies. 1:45pm

Jim Griffin wrote on Simon Andrews wall. 11.33am
“"Achhk, you bahhhhhstaaard! That's not me bagpipe!"”


If you haven’t already joined facebook I definitely recommend it, it’s a great way to spend one’s life.

5 Comments:

At 11:22 pm, Blogger Richard said...

I like the way you consolidate the funny things other people have said and put them together to make it seem like you're funny.

It's very clever. Now get off facebook and stop wasting your life.

 
At 11:59 pm, Blogger nikoniko said...

Do you want to poke Joy Neely?

 
At 12:16 am, Blogger barry and maverick said...

Who wouldn't want to poke Joy Neely! The only trouble is she doesn't poke back.

 
At 5:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

poking you doesn't feel the same now that i know i'm not the only one, but i just can't stop.

why can't i quit you?

 
At 11:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

poke

 

Post a Comment

<< Home